Phoenix, Arizona, US
Venture Mentor, Coplex; (previous) Chief Education Evangelist, Google; Co-Founder, Phoenix Coding Academy; Co-Author, “On Our Street: Our First Talk About Poverty;” Founder, Ghetto People Productions; Education Video Blogger.
(5) Big Ideas from the Podcast:
- “Education often gets in the way of learning.”
- “The world of education is not broken. It’s doing exactly what it was made to do. The world around education changed.” Thus: “our Education system is no longer relevant.”
- “You don’t fail or succeed; you just constantly iterate.”
- “Google for Education” launched two weeks after Jaime joined the Engineering team at Google; they wanted to “change communication and collaboration in education.” There was no expectation of entering the K-12 market until they noticed iPads; the K-12 work began with one client in Oregon to show proof-of-concept that the Chromebook made it so that any kid is “on campus” no matter where they are
- key to the future: doubling down on “Human Skills” like storytelling or managing a problem: “I don’t care what my daughter’s subjects are. I just want her to be able to collaborate, solve problems, etc.”